Update – 8 April 2021
Thank you to all who have applied to this position. We are currently conducting phone screening interviews for long-listed candidates.
Ebbwater Consulting is a small, specialised, passionate firm that works hard to mitigate flood and natural hazard risk in communities all across Canada. We aren’t your traditional engineering firm – we pride ourselves on being able to work across disciplines, at pushing boundaries, and generally trying to “do the right thing” rather than the easy thing.
We are a small, but growing, company – this brings opportunities and challenges; the whole team works on multiple projects and tasks on any given day. We need staff who like working in a multi-disciplinary environment and who enjoy being challenged to do new things each and every day. We also need staff who relate and buy-in to the Ebbwater approach to projects and business more generally. We walk the talk of risk mitigation and climate adaptation, and need you to as well.
We are looking for a junior staff person to join our team in Vancouver and support the company on a variety of hydrotechnical and planning projects. We expect you to have:
- a degree in engineering/geography/data science or related field (masters degree, civil engineering preferred); EIT license in BC or eligibility to get license a strong asset
- 0-1 years work experience
- GIS experience and expertise with open source software (e.g. QGIS, GRASS, etc.)
- hydraulic modelling experience for riverine and coastal areas using a variety of software (e.g. HEC-RAS, TELEMAC suite, iRIC suite, etc.)
- general data management skills for large spatial and aspatial datasets
- research skills and tools up your sleeve to discover leading edge ideas; interdisciplinary research skills are a strong asset
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English; French also an asset
- the ability to listen and to talk to people, not just to engineers, and not just to those you like
- a genuine and demonstrated desire to reduce disaster risk and enhance resilience
- eligibility to work in Canada
About the Job
This position will be based at our downtown Vancouver office (while COVID persists, remote work is anticipated), where you will be supported by a small team of engineers and scientists to grow and develop your skills.
We offer pay at going rates, a group benefits’ plan, a shorter than average work week, as well as many tangible and intangible benefits associated with a small, innovative and feisty company.
We are looking for someone who can start work immediately (Spring 2021), but will also consider deferring the start date for the right person.
We know we have a big wish list…but we also know that you are out there! If you are interested – please send your resume and cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank you for your interest and application, but will only respond if you are selected for interview. Please do not call the office for more information.